Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:19:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>
Subject:   Bad blocks - the check and the disk

Hi

While scanning my disk for bad blocks I get the following result:
Block:  468160 will be marked BAD.
Block:  468161 will be marked BAD.
Block:  468162 will be marked BAD.
Block:  468163 will be marked BAD.
Block:  468164 will be marked BAD.
Block:  468165 will be marked BAD.
/usr/sbin/bad144: /dev/wd2s1: bad flag in bad-sector table
/usr/sbin/bad144: bad sector file contains duplicates (sn 0)
/usr/sbin/bad144: bad sector file contains duplicates (sn 0)
/usr/sbin/bad144: cyl/trk/sect out of range in existing entry:
sn=226762876, cn=19456, tn=49, sn=109

(removed a lot of crap)
So, I think it didn't fix it at all... At a later time I checked the disk
again, and there were still errors (however on different blocks because I
did an bad144 -s -v /dev/wd2 instead of an bad144 -s -v /dev/wd2s1)

For another disk I don't get bad-blocks errors, but things like these:
bad block information at sector 2501730 in /dev/wd3s1:
cartridge serial number: 251726257(10)
bt_flag=0(16)?
sn=0, cn=0, tn=0, sn=0
/usr/sbin/bad144: /dev/wd3s1: bad flag in bad-sector table
/usr/sbin/bad144: bad sector file contains duplicates (sn 0

(so the last ones are almost the same)

Besides, during the check, the kernel reported me:
wd2: interrupt timeout:
wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
wd2: interrupt timeout:
wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 40<uncorr>
wd2: interrupt timeout:
wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 40<uncorr>
wd2: interrupt timeout:
wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 40<uncorr>
wd2: interrupt timeout:
wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 40<uncorr>
wd2: Last time I say: interrupt timeout.  Probably a portable PC.:
wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 40<uncorr>

What does that mean? That the check really hit the bad blocks?

What can I do against it - how can I use bad144 so that it saves the
bad-block-information?
Is there BTW a way to check if there are bad blocks in the bad sector
table?
Are the errors from the kernel with interrupt timeouts serious, do I have
to pay much attention to them?

Thank you in advance,
Paul

--