Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 17:48:29 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Roman Katsnelson" <romank@graphnet.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unique question......

On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 16:33:02 -0400, Roman Katsnelson wrote:

>Steve Friedrich wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 11:57:00 -0700 (PDT), William Woods wrote:
>>
>> >What I want to do is this, blow away win95 and install freebsd. There is no way
>> >to make a boot floppy for it (it has no floppy drive) so, I am at a loss how to
>> >do this.....any ideas appreciated.
>>
>> Here's a couple options:
>> 1. Find another machine (at work? a friend?) that has DOS/Winblows or
>> some variant of unix on it, that also has Internet access.  Connect to
>> www.freebsd.org and read the docs to make a boot floppy. Note that the
>> procedure will vary according to the system you found as a surrogate.
>> 2. Find another machine (at work? a friend?) that has a CDROM drive,
>> acquire the CDROM distribution (and preferably the book The Complete
>> FreeBSD from Walnut Creek (www.cdrom.com).
>
>what i would do, if buying a cdrom drive and/or a floppy drive is out of
>the question is just put the hard drive in another machine, install a
>fully functional system on there, put it back in the laptop, boot up and
>reconfigure the kernel (not that i know how to reconfigure a kernel ;)

This is a pretty good idea.  One thing to consider though is that most
laptops have very small drives that probably can't be mounted in a
desktop case.  You can temporarily sit the drive on something stable,
but beware of it falling, etc.  And it might be a little tough to get
even a friend to let you go that deep into his machine, especially if
you've never taken a cover off a computer before. Having said all that,
I'll probably use this technique myself (I've done similar things in
the past, didn't pop to my mind this time).

As for making your own custom kernel, you should learn how because a
custom kernel is frequently half the size of GENERIC and will boot
faster because it will only contain the devices you actually have and
won't waste so much time probing for all the devices in GENERIC.

A quick tour:
cd to /sys/i386/conf
if the directory doesn't exist, you haven't installed the kernel
sources (go to /stand/sysinstall and select
configure...distributions... and find the kernel sources and install
them)
in /sys/i386/conf copy the GENERIC file to a filename of your liking,
i.e., cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
using any plain text editor (like vi, emacs, textedit), edit MYKERNEL.
You need to know what devices have been detected in your system.  You
can use "dmesg>log" to put the boot messages into a log file.  Then
just look for lines containing irq and/or "at 0x???".  The hex numbers
"0x???" are i/o addresses.  Most devices have several possibilities.
Comment out the lines in MYKERNEL for devices you don't have. Say you
have an adaptec SCSI controller, comment out the lines for NCR, etc.
Do the same for NICs.

You can comment out a few lines at a time, such as all the NICs except
the one you think is correct for you, and build a kernel and boot it.
Then, if it seems ok, de-configure some more devices, build again, boot
again, etc.  This is step-wise refinement. Even those who have been
wrestling with computers for twenty odd years do it, so don't think
it's macho to get it right first time thru.

After editing the MYKERNEL file, do a config on it; config MYKERNEL
It only takes a couple minutes, generally.
Then cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
and then invoke make
make
This stage will take some time, but it keeps outputting messages, so at
least you know it's not "hung".
If the make completes successfully (you'll know), then invoke make with
the install target.
make install
This puts the new kernel in / as kernel and renames the previous kernel
as kernel.old.
Go rename kernel.old to kernel.GENERIC (if kernel.GENERIC doesn't
already exist) because each time you make a kernel, kernel.old gets
overwritten with kernel.  You don't want to lose a kernel that you know
will boot.
Then reboot.

This stuff is in The Complete FreeBSD, and you really should get a
copy, if you don't have one.  I've been wrestling computers of all
shapes and sizes for 22yrs, and I found the book indispensable.

This stuff is probably in the handbook, but I haven't looked...