Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:01:21 +0100
From:      Olivier Duchateau <duchateau.olivier@gmail.com>
To:        Pavel Timofeev <timp87@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, miwi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xfce 4.8 upgrade errors

2011/3/11 Pavel Timofeev <timp87@gmail.com>:
> When I use XDM
> $ grep ttyv8 /etc/ttys
> ttyv8 =A0 "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon" =A0xterm =A0 on secure
> $ cat .xsession
> exec /usr/local/bin/xfce4-session
> and 'Applications menu' doesn`t work
>
> If I use `startx` command instead of xdm
> $ grep ttyv8 /etc/ttys
> ttyv8 =A0 "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon" =A0xterm =A0 off secure
> And add following (find with google) line to .xinitrc
> $ cat .xinitrc
> ck-launch-session startxfce4
> 'Applications menu' works good

It's known bug Xdm and ConsoleKit. With Xdm and Xfce you don't need to
add ck-launch-session in your ~/.xinitrc.

When you install x11-wm/xfce4-session, consolekit, polkit, upower are
enabled (if there are installed).

Excerpt of configure script:
[...]
  --disable-hal           Do not enable HAL (default=3Denabled)
  --disable-upower        Do not enable Upower support (formely
                          devicekit-power) (default=3Denabled)
  --disable-consolekit    Do not enable ConsoleKit (default=3Denabled)
  --disable-polkit        Do not enable PolicyKit support (default=3Denable=
d)
[...]

I don't know, why you don't use Xfce's xinitrc, it works fine with Xdm
(I use it). You should also add symbolic link between ~/.xinitrc and
~/.xsession.

I use sysutils/polkit (not sysutils/policykit which is replaced by
polkit, and any more /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf) for
logout / disconnect session and everything works fine.