Date:      Wed, 5 May 2010 09:59:54 -0700
From:      Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
To:        glarkin@FreeBSD.org, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newsyslog not reading /ect/rc.conf arguments?

At 6:14 PM +0300 5/5/10, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>How did you start newsyslog?  There's an rc.d script that should *read*
>the flags from rc.conf:
>
>    /etc/rc.d/newsyslog start

Yes, exactly. I did '/etc/rc.d/newsyslog stop', then '/etc/rc.d/newsyslog start'.

At 11:14 AM -0400 5/5/10, Greg Larkin wrote:
>newsyslog is invoked at boot time by the /etc/rc.d/newsyslog script to
>create missing log files, but after that, it's invoked regularly by cron
>to do the actual rotations.  Check the /etc/crontab file and add your
>flags there, and you should be all set.

Thanks, I see that now.

This seems like a broken model: intial boot and later restarts uses arguments from /etc/rc.conf, but the periodic call does not. I don't think we want people modifying /etc/crontab, do we? Shouldn't /etc/crontab be calling '/etc/rc.d/newsyslog restart' instead?

--Paul Hoffman