Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:09:04 +0100
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@svenskabutiker.se>
To:        robin@isometry.net
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I/O APIC and Uniprocessor support

Robin Breathe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reading up on 'option APIC', it seems that the intention of keeping it
> distinct from 'option SMP' was to support future uniprocessor boards
> that had this feature.  Well that time has come ;)

Yes, it is a PC2001 design requirement that the PC should be able to run in
APIC mode. So all new motherboards will have this in the future.

> The Asus TUSL2-C (based on Intel 815ep chipset, and others based on this
> chipset I would guess) has supported APIC mode since bios revision 1008
> (07Aug2001), but nothing seems to have been done to solidify support for

I have a MSI K7T Turbo2 (Athlon KT133A) that have APIC mode as an option in
BIOS. I can run a SMP kernel on it but not compile a kernel with just
"options APIC_IO". It seems silly to run a SMP kernel just to get better
interrupt sharing.

> compilation with 'option APIC' and without 'option SMP'.  I tried to
> compile with -STABLE from yesterday, and got the a lot of errors
> (attached).
> http://ftp.cvut.cz/Asus/mb/sock370/815ep/tusl2-c/index.txt has the bios
> revisions, including the introduction of I/O APIC mode.
> I have shared devices, and thus I think it would be great to get this
> working.  I would be delighted to help test this code out if anyone can
> supply some patches to get it working.

I took a look at the source files where APIC_IO was used but it seemed to
be rather mixed up with options SMP and not that easy to sort out.

I'l be happy to test patches, both on this machine and on dual PPro boxen
(have one STABLE and one CURRENT).

	/Martin

--
Martin Nilsson, Civilingenjör M.Sc. CS&E
Svenska Butiker AB,