Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 00:43:59 -0700
From:      Rob <robert@namodn.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: access logging via syslog ( apache )

[snip]

> > However, syslogd will substitute "last message
> > repeated XX times" if the occurences happen
> > more than a couple times a second.
> >
> > Is there any way to turn this off?
>
> Looking at the source code, it seems that there is no way. It might be
> worth a compile time #define if not a runtime flag.
[snip]

Thanks for your reply!

I considered hacking the source ( it's alot smaller than I expected
for some reason ), but altering the CustomLog
directive to provide a unique identifier ( perhaps show a more
accurate timestamp? ) in the httpd.conf of Apache
would be a cleaner ( to my mind ) approach than having a modified
binary on the filesystem.

Although in real life the chance of the same IP hitting
the same URL more than once a second is very low, I am
paranoid :)

Rsync and NFS have their own disadvantages, like the possibility
of rsync copying a 0 byte file over the originial ( although
I suppose it could be copied then concatenated, but it is still
batch and not real time ) and NFS would cause strange behavior
on the clients ( read: webservers ) if the NFS server were
to go down.

We hashed this one at for a while at work :)
Just thought I'd share a few ups/downs we came up with.

Our estimates don't show the kind of traffic that would
cause the fact that syslog uses UDP to become a problem
due to too much traffic on the wire.

On the other hand, is there any userland way to force
a daemon to use TCP rather than UDP? Is there something
essential about UDP that syslog cannot do without?

Rob
Namodn