Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:35:54 +0400
From:      Andrey Zonov <zont@FreeBSD.org>
To:        matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        Achim Patzner <ap@bnc.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mfi driver performance

--------------enigCA1C4D028AFB59596A64F51A

On 9/10/12 9:14 PM, matt wrote:
> On 09/10/12 05:38, Achim Patzner wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> We=92re testing a new Intel S2600GL-based server with their recommende=
d RAID adapter ("Intel(R) Integrated RAID Module RMS25CB080=94) which is =
identified as

>> mfi0: <ThunderBolt> port 0x2000-0x20ff mem 0xd0c60000-0xd0c63fff,0xd0c=
00000-0xd0c3ffff irq 34 at device 0.0 on pci5
>> mfi0: Using MSI
>> mfi0: Megaraid SAS driver Ver 4.23=20
>> mfi0: MaxCmd =3D 3f0 MaxSgl =3D 46 state =3D b75003f0=20
>>
>> or
>>
>> mfi0@pci0:5:0:0:        class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x35138086 chip=3D0x00=
5b1000 rev=3D0x03 hdr=3D0x00
>>     vendor     =3D 'LSI Logic / Symbios Logic'
>>     device     =3D 'MegaRAID SAS 2208 [Thunderbolt]'
>>     class      =3D mass storage
>>     subclass   =3D RAID
>>
>> and seems to be doing quite well.
>>
>> As long as it isn=92t used=85
>>
>> When the system is getting a bit more IO load it is getting close to u=
nusable as soon as there are a few writes (independent of configuration, =
it is even sucking  as a glorified S-ATA controller). Equipping it with a=
n older (unsupported) controller like an SRCSASRB
>> (mfi0@pci0:10:0:0:       class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x100a8086 chip=3D0x0=
0601000 rev=3D0x04 hdr=3D0x00
>>     vendor     =3D 'LSI Logic / Symbios Logic'
>>     device     =3D 'MegaRAID SAS 1078'
>>     class      =3D mass storage
>>     subclass   =3D RAID) solves the problem but won=92t make Intel=92s=
 support happy.

>> Has anybody similar experiences with the mfi driver? Any good ideas be=
sides running an unsupported configuration?

>> Achim

org"
> I just set up an IBM m1015 (aka LSI 9240lite aka Drake Skinny) with mfi=
=2E
> Performance was excellent for mfisyspd volumes, as I compared using the=

> same hardware but with firmware (2108it.bin) that attaches under mps.
> Bonnie++ results on random disks were very close if not identical
> between mfi and mps. ZFS performance was also identical between a
> mfisysd JBOD volume and a mps "da" raw volume. It was also quite clear
> mfisyspd volumes are true sector-for-sector pass through devices.
>=20
> However, I could not get smartctl to see an mfisyspd volume (it claimed=

> there was no such file...?) and so I flashed the controller back to mps=

> for now. A shame, because I really like the mfi driver better, and
> mfiutil worked great (even to flash firmware updates).
>=20

Have you got /dev/pass* when the controller run under mfi driver?  If
so, try to run smartctl on them.  If not, add 'device mfip' in your
kernel config file.

--=20
Andrey Zonov