Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:58:33 +0200
From:      Eye of the Beholder <eye.of.the.8eholder@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions about GPT partitioned disks (on i386/amd64)

Hello.

I have an Intel Pentium4 Cpu with EMT64 and have installed
7.0-CURRENT-200701-amd64-disc1.iso on my 120GB sata disk.

I have a second sata disk that i use for transfers.
I tried experimenting with GPT on this second disk and i want to ask some
questions.

Originally, i had setup the disk using gnu parted from my slackware linux.
FreeBSD saw the 2 partitions i had fine and i mounted the ext3 partitions f=
ine.

I saw that each partition type has a uuid that is recognised by.
I have made a "swap" partition and a "ufs" partition using the FreeBSD gpt =
tool.

1) When i add a gpt partition, do i need to disklabel it like in the mbr wo=
rld ?
=46rom what i understood since there is a different uuid for swap/ufs partiti=
ons, i can use
the partition without using disklabel (just use the partition like in the l=
inux world)

2) If the disk is used for data then everything is fine but what about boot=
ing from a gpt disk ?
I have successfully booted slackware linux from the gpt disk using grub2 in=
 a floppy disk, but i
haven't tried boot FreeBSD yet because i am not that keen with FreeBSD yet.

3) Has anyone booted FreeBSD from a gpt disk ?

4) Can i use fdisk (or any other tool) to put the FreeBSD loader on the gpt=
 ufs partition ?
=46rom what i read in www.freebsd.org the boot loader doesn't support gpt (at=
 the time the web page
was written)

I am sorry if my questions are already answered, but i haven't found much i=
nfo either in the
mailing list archives or google. All the info i find is about ia64 which ha=
s native efi/gpt support
and is different.

Thank you for your time.