Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:25:00 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: Testers for an alternate to /usr/obj (as we know it).

> I know this sounds weird, but would it be possible to set an environment
> variable to *also* create the symlinks.  Often-times things will blow up
> on me due to old dependencies, and it's nice to be able to do a 'rm
> obj/.depend'.  If I understand the current system I'd have to bounce
> around in the FS to get to the directory to blow things away.

Not at all:

1. make clean - wipes the *contents* of ${.OBJDIR}
2. make cleandepend - wipes out the depend in ${.OBJDIR}
3. make cleandir - wipes out ${.OBJDIR} completely

Between those 3, you can pretty much clean what you wish.

> It's also nice to be able to look at the obj link and see what the
> 'state' of things is, ie; 'ls obj/'.

This is something of a nice feature which we lose, though there are
possible work-arounds.

In any case, I'd really rather not put the symlinks back as there's
too much code which would have to be "dual headed" to deal with
either possibility and it'd be just too gross.

						Jordan