Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:33:59 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject:   Using spinning time efficiently?

I have my SMP(dual) box running -current at home for local news and
mail/ML server. Last night, when the news-mail gateway started to feed
the articles to the MLs, I noticed that the ratio of CPU time usage
for system call exceeded more than 50%, showing 55-60% every now and
then. The frequencies of system call and interrupt are both around
13-18[k/sec]. (NB HZ in my box is increased up to 16kHz)

I once thought something might be wrong, and then found
(ALT)SYSCALL_LOCK spinning to wait for the lock to be released. Now I
am wondering if we can contribute spinning time to anything else, say
running another process, before the lock gets released. Is is possible
to do so?

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>