Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:31:17 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        msmith@gsoft.com.au, freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Psst! TurboVision?

"Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:

>I wish we were using itcl as our default base, of course - it'd be a
>lot easier to maintain their OOP framework through that mechanism than
>it's going to be in TCL.  The only way I see it working now is that
>we'll write set of C++ derived classes for doing sysinstall-ish stuff
>and with the kinds of data structures encountered more often in that
>context, then we write the TCL->C++ goop for interfacing to those
>classes.  I don't see any reason to implement the entire TurboVision
>API in TCL unless it's for the manifest purpose of providing those
>components for further extention, and TCL is bad at that (hence the
>reference to [incr tcl] :-).

Swig might help here.  1.1 does a lot better at the OOP stuff.  It
may be able to generate most of the glue.  I don't have enough experience
with c++ yet to do the interface to tvision, but I've been playing with
the C stuff. Swig generates code to access c structures (and c++ objects)
similar to the way Tk handles widgets.  For example if I've got a structure
like:

struct foo {
  int a;
  int b;
  int c;
}

somewhere in my C-library, swig will provide access to it via calls
like:

foo f
f configure -a 123 -b 321 -c 999

puts [list [f cget -a] [f cget -b] [f cget -c]]

>					Jordan

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com