Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 08:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to un-restrict finger?

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996, Donald Burr wrote:

> I notice that FreeBSD finger is setup so that, when someone does "finger
> @my.machine.edu", they instead of getting a listing of all on-line users,
> they get "must provide username".  I know that some people like this more
> secure/private/whatever way of finger, but I don't.  How do I make finger
> work like it should?  Do i have to hack on the sources for fingerd, or is
> there a command-line switch or something I can use on it?  or what?
> Please let me know, thanks!

	In /etc/inetd.conf, run fingerd without any flags since the -s is
the secure flag...

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin