Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:52:38 -0600
From:      "Duke, Brian" <Brian.Duke@Level3.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sound problems.

My system is a Compaq Deskpro EN P600 machine
I installed 4.8STABLE and configured the Kernel for sound=20

option 		PNPBIOS
device		pcm

make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DRAINBUILD
make installkernel KERNCONF=3DRAINBUILD

Everything worked like a dream

Brought up XFree86=20
then brought up KDE3.1.2.

Started ARTS and tested a sound.  The sound that croaked out sounded =
like the input signal was too high.
After lots of adjustments I cannot figure out how to reduce the input =
signal. It sounds like and explosion of white noise.
Here is the drivers that loaded:

rain# grep pcm /var/run/dmesg.boot
pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0

Can someone help me with the finer points of tweaking here? Every time I =
press a button this horrendous scratchy noice comes out of my =
headphones.

 =20

Brian Duke
Level(3) Communication / TCAM=20