Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:37:34 -0500
From:      Lars Fredriksen <lars@odin-corporation.com>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern.hz=1000 causes random poweroff on laptop

--------------070405030709050004070909

Hi,
I don't think this is overheating either because it will generally lock
up within a minute or so, but perhaps it is possible that some part gets
to hot in that time frame. If so it is not something acpi is monitoring
because it reports temperatures substantially lower than the PSV limit.
Below is what acpi reports at 100 hz and idle:

hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 46.9C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 79.9C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 94.9C

I can leave the machine at the boot prompt without any problems for a
long time (I know that does not put much stress on the machine :-)), but
within 30-60 seconds of getting to a single user shell prompt, it is
dead as a duck at hz=1000.

Is is possible that it is a power converter issue, where the higher
frequency requires enough current to make the converter start going
belly up?

Also with older kernels, it seems they sometime fails in a similar
fashion (hz=100), when I have a cardbus card (not a pcmcia) active. In
these scenarios though, the machine has typically been running for hours
or days, so it might have been something completely different.

I have for a long time suspected that the deep irq chain for irq9, might
have had something to do with these types of problems. On this machine
you have :
<cbb_intr>
<fxp_intr>
<uhci_intr>
<nm_intr>
<InterruptWrapper>
<intpm_intr>

This list is is from a trace I did a couple of years ago, so the names
might be different, but the depth of the chain hasn't changed.

Lars