Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:01:29 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        "'Alexey N. Dokuchaev'" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: What are the best gcc optimization options for Pentium 200 M

> Can you lead us to any of this HOWTO's?  Tnx.

Well, many good sys admin books exist, I already mentioned "System
Performance Tuning", it's one of the Nutshell handbooks. I don't know the
author off the top of my head. The mailing list achives will give you plenty
of tips and tricks, although less organised. :)

I that book, the author suggests you first create a benchmark and then try
to determine what resources and optimizations apply. The author states that
a good sysadmin knows exactly what the bottlenecks are in his or her system.
I found that buying that book saved me well over the price of it in time and
hardware.

For me, the benchmark is building a GENERIC kernel, since I do a lot of c++
development. I timed that and found with vmstat and friends that I was using
not even 50% of my cpu. I needed more memory (so I now run twm only) and
optimize disk access (my /usr is now striped across two disks, each with
their own controller) and eliminate disk access (MFS on /tmp, setenv TMPDIR
/tmp).

Currently, my bottleneck is memory bandwidth, and I will fix that with an
Athlon/KX133 combo in a month or so. :-)

Frankly, compiler optimizations are not even mentioned.

    Kees Jan