Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 06:09:44 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NCR driver timeout?

>On Jan 14, 19:18, Peter Dufault wrote:
>} Unfortunately, Stefan, I think that if possible we ought to provide
>} the same host adapter behavior across all adapters and use the
>} timeout passed in (if we can), even if it is for an ungodly amount
>} of time.
>}
>} Keep in mind that someone might elect to dedicate an NCR controller
>} to talking to an anti-social scanner and will be disappointed if
>} they can't make it work with a timeout of, say, 10 seconds.  After
>} all, those NCR controllers are among the cheapest we support and
>} therefore a good choice for a second dedicated bus.
>
>Well, guess I've got no choice :)

Well you do have a choice.  I think our shortest timeout is 10s right now
so this should work.  I would suggest aborting the command if you see
enought HTH timeouts to be roughly equivilent to the timeout value in the
xfer or if your timeout handler is called.  This would give you all the
information you have now, but a longer (tunable) timeout.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations