Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 17:13:26 +0100
From:      John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1, UK keyboards (long rant)

=46reeBSD 4.1 Release.

I was trying to get my UK keyboard to work properly with XFree86 4,
but that is another story...  I found that I just couldn't get a =A3
(shift 3) to display.  Using any UK keymap, the keystroke just produced
a beep (bell).  Any other keymap and the key produced a # or another
character.  I checked on a 3.2 machine and found a pound sign.

Set the console settings to the same as the 3.2 box - ditto.

Swopped drives around so that 4.1 ran on the same hardware - No =A3 !

Checked the mappings for shift 3 for differences between 3.2 and 4.1
Both map it to 163 (IIRC).

Tried some other fonts and found 9 SWISS (English, better resolution)
beautifully clear, and /stand/sysinstall looks good with it, so this
has _not_ been a waste of time.

I ran an editor, to put some notes together about this strange - bug?
Pressed shift 3 and NO BEEP but an accented u character that I've seen
in place of pound signs in .uk newsgroups occasionally.  So; the
problem is only shell related dawned upon me, and I remembered that 4.1
now defaults to tcsh not csh.  Ran tcsh on 3.2, pressed shift 3 and BEEP.

Went to bed.

There is no reason I can think of why anyone would need to use a pound
sign in the shell, but it is possible to touch a file in csh with the
'=A3' character therein (it appears as a question mark when listed).
Difficult to remove it with tcsh.

This is no place for technical questions, but: if anyone knows what I
could use to replace the actual accented u, displayed with the SWISS
font, with a proper uk pound sign, or would like to do it...

John.