Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 21:19:33 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lisp vs. Forth

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:
[siod is]
>About 75k according to:
I feel that's excessive for an embedded language in a bootloader.  Even
if it won't fit into the bootblocks, it still needs to fit onto a floppy
with a kernel (unless we want to have separate boot and root floppies as
some other Unices do).

>What's the feeling on the lisp vs. Forth argument?
I prefer lisp for non-trivial work, but can get by in forth.  You
can write illegible code in any language, so I don't think that
argument holds much weight.  A forth kernel is much smaller than
lisp because there's no need for garbage collection or tagged pointers.
(The downside is that forth doesn't have garbage collection or
runtime typing :-).

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au