Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:33:02 -0400
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What do newbies want?

At 07:19 PM 4/14/98 , Christopher Raven wrote:

>Some sort of built in configuration tool that lets you build a
>'complete' desktop enviroment immediately - and without hastles (an
>included .xintrc default script would be a bonus?). Without a shadow
>of a doubt, to most non-CLI people a GUI enviroment is a top priority
>from the word go.
>
>Chris R.

I agree with this and I would even take the idea even a bit further.

* A GUI or CHUI interface for installing _and_ post-installation
  configuration.  The existing sysinstall has come a long way, but
  it's got stretch marks from age and expansion.  The library that
  it uses is dated, and it could really stand to be rewritten.

* More sensible defaults.  Not just the .xinitrc but many of the /etc
  files need modification or editing after installation to get the
  expected results.  For instance, many users are not connected to a
  network, but may want to set up PPP networking.  If that's the case,
  the network initialization should just be omitted or commented out
  upon installation, and PPP setup should be run.

* Internet readiness.  A system should be ready to network rather
  quickly after installation is complete.  This would mean having the
  required networking set up as well as a readily available web
  browser, e-mail client, and whatever other goodies a person might
  need.  We're aware that FreeBSD has The Power to Serve, but we've
  also got to make it friendly to use on the client side to attract
  the newbie crowd.

* More packages, fewer ports.  Though most of the ports are already
  in package form, the list isn't complete.  Ports (or any other
  component that needs to be built rather than extracted) are
  daunting to a new user.  There should be as little of that for the
  novice user as possible.

All this nit-picking makes me feel like I'm complaining when really I'm
not.  The quality of the installer and the config utilities have improved
dramatically since I was first introduced to them, and they're very good
now, enough that I prefer a FreeBSD installation to a Slackware or Red Hat
Linux installation.  But if you're speaking strictly in the interest of
newbies, these are areas that I would improve.

There's an tremendous irony in the UNIX world that applies here: the people
who need these simplifying tools don't have the skill to create them, and
those with the skill don't need them and often can't see the need for them.
 Hence, they often never get created.

K.S.