Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:13:36 -0700
From:      bmah@packetdesign.com (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@packetdesign.com
Subject:   Development for older FreeBSD releases

--==_Exmh_410400216P

Hi fellow -hackers--

I need to make an executable to run on an i386 box running FreeBSD 2.2.X
machine.  Unfortunately, it has no compiler installed on it.  All of the
computers I have at my disposal currently are i386s running 4-STABLE or
5-CURRENT.  Upgrading the target machine is not an option.

Is it even possible to try doing a "cross-compile" to such an old
version of FreeBSD?  (I'm primarily thinking of a.out vs. ELF issues...a
quick experiment already informed me that I'm lacking an appropriate
crt0.o.)

Or am I better off trying somehow to build up a 2.2.X machine to do
development on?

Thanks for any insights...

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_410400216P