Date:      Thu, 8 Dec 2011 00:25:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Burning CDs and DVDs on SATA drive in FreeBSD 9.0

I can't get cdrtools (cdrecord or readcd) to work on FreeBSD 9.0-RC2, and now I see RC3 is available.

I tried "options ATA_CAM" in kernel config, removing "device atapicam", but still
readcd -scanbus  or
cdrecord -scanbus
refuses to work, running as root.

"camcontrol devlist" shows my DVD drive, and I am able to mount and read /dev/cd0.

Is cdrtools buggy, or maybe the FreeBSD port is buggy?

I see from the Makefile that sysutils/cdrdao is broken on FreeBSD 9.x, does not link.

I downloaded cdrkit-1.1.11.tar.gz so as to extract and have a look at it, and possibly build it on my own, outside the ports system.

I see the version in ports system is 1.1.9, maybe 1.1.11 could do better?

Maybe the FreeBSD developers were too hasty to deprecate burncd?

Tom