Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 08:52:30 -0500
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux (was: a couple ?'s)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 21 February 1999 at  2:21:22 -0600, Michael Mad Max Maxwell wrote:
> > God, I hate BSD vs. Linux questions...
> >> 3) How does it compare to Linux in the field of stability and
> >> reliability?

Well, anyone wanting to set up a server (to take one of the FreeBSD
strong points) might want to know the answer to these and other questions.

I had to do this with minimal UNIX knowledge about 6 months ago, and chose
FreeBSD, which was certainly a good, if not the ideal choice then.

However, a question for me now that I understand a bit more is, will Linux
perhaps be a better choice than FreeBSD in the future?

Here are some reasons why it might be, or which might influence a future
decision:

(1) Secure web server support

For use in the US, SSLeay is not legal without a RSA license, and licenses for
individual commmercial use are effectively not available from RSA. For FreeBSD,
you must buy a commercial product that includes RSA licensing. Stronghold (an
independent SSL implementation) is $1000, Raven (based on SSLeay) is $357.
That's per server box.

Enter Linux, with Red Hat now offering SSLeay with RSA licensing (single
server) in a packaged distribution at about $50.

Why can't FreeBSD (Walnut Creek say) do this?

(2) High-end database support

I've lost track of posts on Oracle support in Linux and FreeBSD, but I gather
this is likely to come for Linux, but what support might be available for
FreeBSD I'm not clear on. This could be an important consideration in the
future - even just knowing the future plans could influence a decision on OS.

(3) Technical Support

If I have to pay for technical support, it rather ruins the effect for a free
OS. I've noticed that several technical questions important to me have gone
effectively unanswered on the FreeBSD lists. I have no idea if Linux groups or
vendors might be better in this regard, or how the cost of paid support
compares, but it's something I would want to know more about for future
decisions.

(4) Saleable skills

Installed base per se doesn't matter to me when I choose an OS for my own
server. But if I want to do work in the outside world, being familiar with
Linux might be a big plus, especially as the Linux market share increases.

These are "real-world" practical issues rather than matters of outright
performance. The latter certainly does count, but it's not the only
consideration.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna