Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 1996 01:09:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de, darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, robsch@robkaos.ruhr.de, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   hp4020i on 2.1.5, and it burns, burns, burns, ...

> p.s.: Discussion of this kind would better belong to freebsd-scsi@
> freebsd.org.  There are quite a few more people than these three here
> working with CD-R.

Here we go:
CC: freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org

Hello again,

finally, I wanted to update you on my progress with the burner.

This time I always ejected/reinserted the CD and never did an abort on the
dummy burn. (being really careful this time :-)
I also checked the RAM timing and used a little slower values -- although I
had no problems before.  (But I'm using mixed 4MB and 1MB modules.)
(I "checked" RAM by running 3 `lat_mem_rd 8 128' simultaneously.)

After four successful dummy runs I burned a CD from the same
file I used on Monday (while now running X and several xterms).

14:23 beta: /root 0#% burncd /fat/test-cd
Place a blank CD in the writer and press return:
663900 kilobytes, 2210 seconds
1327800+0 records in
33195+0 records out
679833600 bytes transferred in 2217 secs (306645 bytes/sec)
Time report: 15.400u 701.379s  39:21.13  30.3%
15:05 beta: /root 0#%

So, no timeouts.
Afterwards, no problems with mounting or reading.
Thanks for your support.

> But that's already the limit.  Don't push it beyond it.  For example,
> my machine at work does also serve as the company's lpd filter, with
> ghostscript rendering PS jobs.  While running with 16 MB under X11,
> _this_ one finally caused the burner to underrun.

May be I had luck that it didn't start swapping heavily.
A few swaps are caught by the team buffer, but when it really gets into it ...

> I can live with mkisofs, but would like to see it supporting what

Regarding my idea of including write support into the cd9660-FS,
I think it's very difficult (don't want to say impossible :-) since
a mounted vn-file cannot grow or shrink, but one doesn't know the final
size beforehand.
On the other hand it would be cool(tm) to read/write on an ISO-FS and
than copy it to a CD-R (needing only 1x<size of CD>).
(But I know too little about FS, CD9660 etc.)

> ISO9660 calls ``multi-session'' (which is IMHO a big abuse of the
> term).  Btw., the Windows zoffware is likely to be actually a
> single-user DOS software when it comes to actually burning the stuff,
> thus you gotta dedicate the machine for it...

And don't move the mouse! :-)
(Heavily moving the mouse and a window lets the buffer underrun on
Loose 3.1, 486DX2/66, 32MB)

Just wanted to mention a question on -questions by
Martin Ostermann <ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de.>:
> When I configured the worm support in the kernel, the CD-writer only
> shows up as the worm, no longer as cd0. When I try to mount /dev/cd0,
> it says "device not configured", which is true, it doesn't show up
> during boot.
>
> Now, worm(4) says that it should supply all capabilities of cd(4), but
> there's no worm block device (/dev/worm0).
>
> Can I create on (what minor number?), or how is it going to work?

I started wondering about this too.

Also, are there some special commands (tools/ioctls) for reading audio-CD
tracks to disk ?  (Something like creating my favorite top ten. :-)

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)