Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:45:24 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@web.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP! Slice/Partition on RAID lost!

| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
This is MIME

-----SKER1080632731--

Dear Sirs.
I ran into big trouble after a thermal RAID failure. Our main server is a dual PIII with a Tyan Thunder 2500 main PCB, a AMI MegaRAID Enterprise 1600 four channel RAID controller attached to 9 IBM DDYS 35GB harddrives. 8 disks build up a RAID level 5, one disk is hotspare.
Aber several problems in the past with cooling disks in the RAID failed due to termal issues. Two days ago I got a similar problem. One disk died spontanously and the RAID got rebuild on the hot spare disk. But after completion, it seems that another disk failed again. I took the suspected disk out of its cabinet and put it back into its slot (sometimes after such a failure RAID looses disks maybe due to electrical problems, I did not inevstigate further more).
After a reboot the server got up again - but lost a partition (or so called slice)! I think the reboot has been performed while the RAID controler was rebuilding the array, but I don't know. It is really corious to me that only the first slice of the amrd0s1 array, containing / /usr /var /tmp and a swap partition, is still active, while the second slice, amrd0s2 seems to be lost. No fsck is performed on this slice (conatining /usr/homes /usr/local), system reports an error "no such device" or similar.

Hell, what happend? Where has the second slice been gone?
If there is a way to reinitiate a recovery or RAID rebuild or rescue/recover the lost partition, please report me under this eMail address, I would appreciate any comment, help or tip.

Many thanks for your help in advanece,

O. Hartmann

ohartman@web.de
... and the winner is... WEB.DE FreeMail! - Deutschlands beste E-Mail
ist zum 39. Mal Testsieger (PC Praxis 03/04) http://f.web.de/?mc=021191
-----SKER1080632731--
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-----SKER1080632731----