Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:18:45 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X questions

At 07:16 AM 9/15/98 -0400, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Jim Mock wrote:
>
>> I've got 2.2.7-RELEASE set up on my box at home running X.. it seems
>> to be running ok when I load it up, but I'm having some trouble
>> getting X to start from alt-f4 (ttyv3).  I'm using afterstep as my
>> window manager and I have the following in /etc/ttys..
>>
>> # Virtual terminals
>> ttyv1 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" 		cons25  on  secure
>> ttyv2 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25  on  secure
>> ttyv3 "/usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep"	xterm	on  secure
>
>hmmm... I don't think you can start afterstep this way!
>
>> I've also tried it with xdm -nodaemon instead of afterstep, but
>> neither work.
>
>Ah... this would be better:
>
>console none                            unknown off secure
>#
>ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
># Virtual terminals
>ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure
>ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure
>ttyv3   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
>
>This is what I use.
>
>> My syslog spits out this message ever minute or two..
>>
>> login: Sep 16 init:getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv3,
>> sleeping 30 secs
>
>I had such a message when I tried to put xdm on ttyv1 instead of ttyv3
>When I put it back the way it is now, (see below) it stopped complaining.
>And I could access xdm on Ctrl-Alt-F2 instead of -F4...
>
>> I'm guessing that may be root of the problem.  How do I fix that?  As
>> for afterstep, the only way I can get into it is by su'ing, starting
>> xdm, logging in, and at the prompt typing afterstep to start it.  Once
>> I do that it starts fine.. I'm sending this message from it now, but
>> there's gotta be a way to set it to be my default window manager...
>> I'm obviously missing someing here...
>
>Indeed! I would like so much to be able toupgrade my webpage... I wrote a
>handful of info about this, and can't get it up to the server...
>
>The base principle is that you can run X by default, or not. If you want
>every user on your computer to run X, use xdm. Else use 'startx', seee the
>manpage.  The basic idea is that, in both cases you have a dot-file which
>will tell X what to run. If you use xdm, the file is called .xsession ,
>and will look like this:

After I sent the first message, I decided to mess around with .xinitrc and
seem to have gotten that problem figured out... I also changed /etc/ttys
back to xdm -nodaemon and that looks good too.. thanks for the reply :)

Now I've got a major problem trying to compile xpm, xfmail, and xv.  How do
I generate the templates, etc. /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config ?  I've read man
page after man page and either I'm blind, or I'm not looking in the right
places.. I eventually got sick of it and decided to copy all of the config
dir from a machine that it was on to my box here at home and tried again..
I still get a _TON_ of errors, so I'm guessing that won't work.  I'd list
the errors, but it'd take you guys 3 days to read through all of em..
*sigh*... I'm lost :-(

Jim
---
|=> Jim Mock - SysAdmin - Webmaster <=|
|=> Phear Dot Net | KidzHaven <=|
|=> Web Site Design & Hosting Services <=|
|=> email: jim@phrantic.phear.net <=|
|=> web: http://www.phear.net/ <=|
|=> web. http://www.kidzhaven.com/ <=|
---