Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:21:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compile failure

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> * Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org> [20010808 19:05]: writing on the subject 'Re: Kernel Compile failure'
> > On Wednesday 08 August 2001 12:57 pm, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > > ===> ipfilter
> > > *** Error code 2
> > > Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
> >
> > Hmmm. I think this is the problem I encountered when upgrading an older
> > system to 4.3-STABLE.
> >
> > Try emptying your /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNELNAME directory and then do a
> > make buildkernel again.
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> You were right about that. It worked thereafter. I am wondering if anyone
> cares to tell me what causes such issues. I don't think 'dirty directory
> contents' is plausible enough.

    That's exactly what it is, though.  Getting dependency rules
exactly right in the Makefiles of a large system can be difficult, and
it's always possible that a clean target isn't quite up-to-date with
the build targets.

    Hence the recommendation to blow away /usr/obj when you cvsup.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)