Date:      Thu,  6 Sep 2001 05:47:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <brian.jackson@third-rail.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>

Hi everyone,

  I've currently built an e-mail cluster with three machines running qmail (and FreeBSD, obviously).  Each machine is running pop and smtp, and they are all "balanced" using round robin DNS.

  One of the machines is exporting it's /usr/home directory, and the other two are mounting this directory on their /usr/home, so that no matter which machine you hit you get your mail (not enough $$ for a NetApp Filer...).

  Each of these machines has two disks mirrored running vinum (for a separate thread, yes you can have two disks mirrored running vinum and boot off either...), but I'm paranoid - what happens in a catastrophic situation where the machine exporting /usr/home goes away?  Has anyone done anything similar?

  I'm thinking of just using a simple rsync script locally on each machine, and then un-mounting / re-exporting / re-mounting file systems, but this seems - well, complicated.

  Any thoughts / ideas / criticisms welcome.

Thanks!

Brian
--
brian.jackson@third-rail.net