Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:32:17 +0100
From:      "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@zx2c4.com>
To:        mmacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   wireguard implementation in progress with zero coordination or communication with wireguard project? can we help?

Hi Matthew,

I'm Jason, the lead of the WireGuard project.

Somebody brought it to my attention that Netgate has been sponsoring
you to write a WireGuard kernel implementation for FreeBSD. What a
terrific development!

However, this is in fact the first I've heard of such an initiative,
which is quite surprising and possibly alarming. While I can sort of
vaguely imagine possible commercial reasons for this from Netgate's
perspective, I can't imagine that dis-coordination is something
desirable on the part of FreeBSD. I'd like to find some way we can
work together on this.

In parallel, the WireGuard project has been working on an
implementation for OpenBSD's kernel that we intended to eventually
port to FreeBSD. We're also working on other implementations for other
platforms as well. It will be interesting to learn if your work is
"from scratch", or if you've already begun porting the in-progress
OpenBSD work.

Our goal as a Project is to keep things as uniform and inter-operable
as possible, to offer the same good experience across platforms.
Another goal is to keep the security and security-related semantics
uniform. We view WireGuard as more than just the development of a
protocol, but rather as a set of implementations that we feel good
about.

To that end, I was wondering if whatever development has been going on
for the FreeBSD kernel could begin to work with the WireGuard project.
Personally, I'd be interesting in auditing the code, reviewing the
design, matching up configuration semantics, and generally the set of
things we've done on each platform so far to make sure things going.
In other words, how can the WireGuard project get involved with this
great FreeBSD development? How can we begin to coordinate?

Thanks,
Jason