Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 00:23:26 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, dan@dpcsys.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Here's a NATD thingy to try out...

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 04:10:26PM -0400, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>  Most things work just fine; it's only the odd HTTP reference that seems
> to go ger-flunkers.
>
>   http://www.aol.com is an example of a place where netscape running
> on an interior node won't succeed; but netscape running on the gateway
> machine works just fine.

This is very, very weird.  I'd understand it if it was an FTP or IRC
DCC request (for these, libalias does in-transit patching of packets
in ways that can expand/shrink them, and has a couple of
non-conformant assumptions), but HTTP is strange.

Can you do any tracing on the host running natd?  natd -v, I think it
is (though I don't use natd, so you'll have to read the man page).

My way of finding these things has so far been to add printf
statements to libalias until the problem becomes tractable.

Eivind.