Date:      Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:20:10 GMT
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/164457: [install] Can&#39; t install FreeBSD 9.0 (amd64) on HP Blade (ProLiant BL465c G1 )

The following reply was made to PR amd64/164457; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To: Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc: <bug-followup@freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:45:21 +0100

 On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:45:23AM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:

 > I suspect that your problem might be related to the recent eventtimers changes.
 > Could you please try playing with setting the following tunables on the loader
 > prompt (via 'set' command)?
 >
 > kern.eventtimer.periodic=1
 > kern.eventtimer.timer="LAPIC"

 Hi Andriy,

 This neatly did the trick! :-) In setting both values I was able to boot
 off the install-CD. After installation I had to make sure both of these
 settings end up in /boot/loader.conf so the machine comes up.

 Unfortunately I've now got another problem: When doing a "sync" this
 command obviously doesn't terminate (i.e. no commandline-prompt reappearing).
 Could this be related to the same cause?

 BTW, Any documentation as to what these two settings you mentioned actually do?

 Thanks for your help!
 -ewald