Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 11:47:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        maloneyb@cybercity.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Drive 2 ques.

maloneyb@cybercity.com stands accused of saying:

> Hi, I am a new user to FreeBSD, although I am somewhat familiar with
> UNIX in general.  I am having a minor installation problem.  I am trying
> to install FreeBSD on my second drive, a Western Digital Caviar 1080MB
> drive.  It IS configured correctly.  When I install I set the partitions
> to ( I use the whole drive)

Your questions imply that you're running 2.0R, which is significantly out
of date.  If you bought it on CD from Walnut Creek, you should be able to
exchange it for the 2.0.5R set.

> a: 16 MB, mountpoint /
> b: 32 MB, swapspace
> c, d: leave at defaults...
> e: 10 MB, mountpoint /var
> f: 50 MB, mountpoint /usr/X11R6
> g: the rest of the free space, mountpoint /usr

This is a reallly bad partitioning scheme.  16M is too small for /,
and 32M swap is a bad decision if you have a gig of disk.

On a disk like that, I'd suggest 300M combined / and /usr, 2.5*RAM or
40M (whichever is larger) for swap, and mount the rest on /local0 or
somewhere else convenient.

> Now, to the actual problem.....  When it is finished with the initial
> installation, it reboots, I select the partition to boot from, it asks
> for the kernel, and I typy hd(1,a)/kernel, like I'm supposed to.  Ok,
> all this runs fine and dandy until almost the end, where it hits a
> system panic and I have to reboot because it can't mount the root.  Any
> ideas?

Yes, that should be wd(1,a)/kernel.  If you read the boot prompt, hd()
is a special case for when you have a wd (IDE) disk first, and you want
to boot from the second BIOS disk, which is the first sd (SCSI) disk.

>                                                            Brian Maloney

Abandon 2.0R before you go any further; 2.0.5 will serve you much
better.  Don't forget to install a boot selector on your first harddisk,
and install the standard MBR on the FreeBSD disk.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[