Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:15:08 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help debugging Windowmaker coredump

--VUDLurXRWRKrGuMn

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:06:44PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> I'm trying to figure out how to get more debugging info out of my core du=
mp.
> Here's all I have so far:
>=20
> local:~> gdb -c wmaker.core=20
> GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you =
are
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for detail=
s.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd".
> Core was generated by `wmaker'.
> #0  0x80967d6 in ?? ()
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x80967d6 in ?? ()
> #1  0x80706cb in ?? ()
> #2  0x807f975 in ?? ()
> #3  0x806c3d8 in ?? ()
> #4  0x804d219 in ?? ()
> (gdb)=20
>=20
> This obviously isn't much help.  What do I need to include in the port bu=
ild
> to get more debugging info so I can post a helpful core dump?
>=20
> NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.

You want to pass the -g option to the compiler, to get gdb to emit source
file names and linenumbers. Most of the time something like this works:

/usr/ports/x11-wm/windowmaker# make CFLAGS=3D"-g" STRIP=3D"" all install

But this depends on whether the port honors your custom CFLAGS.

Note that usually you don't have to install the debug version, you can
also run the resulting binary from the work/windowmaker-0.xxx/...
subdirs.

Hope this helps,

--Stijn

--=20
Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already
know dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be
killed.
		-- G.K. Chesterton

--VUDLurXRWRKrGuMn

--VUDLurXRWRKrGuMn--