Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:12:24 +0200
From:      peppe@unipg.it (Giuseppe Vitillaro)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow FTP transfer rate between 2.1.0 and 2.2-960801-SNAP

  I observerd a strange behaviour of TCP connections between two
  FreeBSD systems at different levels.

  The first is a 2.1.0-RELEASE and the second a 2.2-960801-SNAP
  just installed.

  The two machines are on a subnetted (0xfffffff0) class C
  (Thin Ethernet) network.

  An FTP between the two machine has a transfer rate
  of an astonishing 3-4Kb/sec and so I suspect (not
  verified) any TCP connection that transfer large
  amount of data.

  Both of the machines show a transfer rate of 600-1000Kb/sec
  when the FTP is done from other systems (Windows95 and SCO).
  Oviously this is not a demostration that the local Ethernet
  is OK, but is a very little (one single short segment) thin
  Ethernet.

  I would like to know if anyone observed this behaviour
  in other situations and eventually what problem may cause this
  situation.

  Thank, Peppe.