Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:49:20 +0100
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re-compiling ports after cvsup

Hi,

Jonathon McKitrick a écrit :

> I understand that 'make world' recompiles the basic system.  I also
> understand that the best way to update ports is to make them then try
> them, then de-install the old ones and re-install the new ones.
> here are 2 questions:
> Is there one command that will rebuild ALL the ports without installing
> them?  Something similar to 'make buildworld', only for the ports
> collection?
Look in the archives, there was a thread on this subject a few weeks
ago.
Chosen excerpt :
<< Nik Clayton has some patches for pkg_version that generate these
commands automatically.
http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/pkg_version.1.diff
http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/pkg_version.diff >>
Thanks to Mark Ovens
This patch allows pkg_version to upgrade ports _installed_ on your box.
If you want to upgrade all ports, you could install them all and run
pkg_version after each cvsup of your ports tree.

> Also, when trying the new version of a port, even though
> the package may have a different name, won't the binary have the same
> name and overwrite the older version?
The only upgrade I've done regularly was mergemaster until it was merged
in -stable. Upgrading _overwrote_ older version.

Regards

Eric
--
Any opinions expressed above  | Murphy's Law Corollary :
are my own, not Kisoft's      | Murphy was an optimist.