Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 95 00:00:30 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/emulators/linux_lib - Imported sources

 > Here's my cliff notes on setting up linux compat:

 > 1)  make sure you're running on a kernel whose config file
 >     has `options COMPAT_LINUX' in it. If not, then re-config, rebuild,
 >     and reboot.

I did it, and I also have the  SYSVxxx options

 > 2)  make sure you have a set of linux shared libraries.  Friday
 >     afternoon I intend to import my port of linux libraries.
 >     then it should just be to make install from
 >     /usr/ports/emulators/linux_lib.  or get the port from the port
 >     ftp/www server.

 >     At any rate, your linux libraries must be installed in
 >     /compat/linux/{lib,usr/lib}.

They are in /compat/linux/lib

 >     NOTE: linux libraries *must* be ZMAGIC, although it appears that
 >     binaries can be either ZMAGIC or QMAGIC.

 > 3)  make sure you have a /usr/bin/linux, if not do a `make all install'
 >     from /usr/src/lkm/linux.  run /usr/bin/linux (as root).  You
 >     should get output something like:

 > (jake)$ sudo linux
 > Linux emulator installed
 > Module loaded as ID 2
 > (jake)$

ok:
bash# linux
Linux emulator installed
Module loaded as ID 0

 > 4)  run your favorite linux binaries.  I have personally run

I tried a random binary - no problem:
bash# /cdrom2/usr/bin/ctags
/cdrom2/usr/bin/ctags: No input files specified.
/cdrom2/usr/bin/ctags: Try `/cdrom2/usr/bin/ctags --help' for a complete list of options.

 >     doom, Wingz, Xess, and Maple.  I've made ports of Wingz, and

DOOM!
bash# ./xdoom
                          DOOM System Startup v1.8

V_Init: allocate screens.
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
        adding ./doom1.wad
        shareware version.
M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon - [...................]
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
startskill 2  deathmatch: 0  startmap: 1  startepisode: 1
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
S_Init: Setting up sound.
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display.
ST_Init: Init status bar.
Using MITSHM extension
LINUX: 'ioctl' fd=5, typ=0x450(P), num=0xa not implemented
ioctl(dsp,-1073459190,arg) failed
errno=22
shared memory id=131072, addr=0x802c000

The program starts, and crashes after a few seconds :0(

Broken pipe

And if I try to restart the program, it ends immediatly with
Using MITSHM extension
errno=17
Error: Could not get any shared memory

Any hints?

	Jean-Marc

 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr