Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:12:19 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPV6/KAME/protosw integration cleanup

itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >>When KAME was added the mesh was less that perfect but there was so much to
> >>be done that some shortcuts needed to be taken.
> >>
> >>now that time has passed some of these can be cleaned up.
> >>
> >>1/ Merging ipprotosw.h and protosw.h
> >>2/ removal of all varargs stuff from the kernel
> >>(this revealing the mismatched prototypes they were hiding)
> >>removal of lotso warnings from the KAME stuff.
> >
> >       the change does add pain to KAME integration side on upgrades.
> >       note that KAME codebase uses the same code across multiple *BSDs.
> >       please don't do this.
>
>         also, IIRC, ipprotosw.h was added just for freebsd, as a result of
>         some "code review" between shin@kame and other folks on freebsd
>         mailig lists.  some of you asked for it.

Please note that the ip6protosw is ALSO very broken

protosw is supposed to be a "protocol independent" structure.
It defines entrypoints that are called by PROTOCOL INDEPENDENT CODE.
Either IPv6 should be taught to conform to protosw (exactly) or the definition
of protosw and the protocol independent code should be changed to take into
account the needs of IPv6. Having a separate version of the struct for IPv6
is also unacceptable and I'll have a go at fixing that soon if you guys don't
do so first..

these interfaces are FIXED for a particular release of the software.
ALL USERS of the interfaces must conform to the (single) definition
of the interface.. "rolling your own" is only an option
in SHORT development periods (e.g 2 months). For longer periods, either  the
interface or the code should change.

i.e. add an input2 entry to the structure with different semantics
and teach the protocol independent code how to deal with it, or
REALLY prove to yourself and us that the interface is deficient
and needs to be changed. (be prepared to also change all the other
protocols so that they conform to the new interface).