Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:24:18 +0100
From:      Karel Gardas <gardask@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Schuster <michaelsprivate@gmail.com>, Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Joseph Mingrone <jrm@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Call for Foundation-supported Project Ideas

On 12/29/21 8:23 PM, Michael Schuster wrote:
>      >> 1) implement/port beadm equivalent from Solaris/IlumosOS? Make
>      >> freebsd-update process more reversible by using proper boot
>     environments
>      >> and using ZFS snapshots.
>      >
>      >
>      > All of these have been in FreeBSD for quite a while - can't give
>     you dates or specifics (port vs "builtin"), but I've been using them
>     since at least 13.
>      >

>     Specifically, bectl(8)[0] has been in and mostly usable since 12.0,
>

> bectl behaves slightly differently from beadm, which can be confusing
> when you're used to beadm.
> I don't have the specifics handy (although I was part of an email thread
> about this), but decided to stick with beadm as it suits my needs better.

Guys, I'm sorry about my oversight of this excellent feature. Obviously
this is my mistake[1] and thank you both for the remark. I'll do my
homework and look into bectl.
No, I don't need it to be beadm compatible, but just beadm idea
compatible. E.g. be able to roll-back after update. That's enough to
make me happy about it.

Thanks!
Karel

[1]: caused by a fact of having FreeBSD 13 with freebsd-update working
but installed on shared drive with Linux and hence using UFS2 hence no
ZFS snapshots. Also have FreeBSD 14 on zfs root on separate drive, but
this obviously is not updated by -update but by git/make. Shame on me!