Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:20:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), brooks@one-eyed-alien.net (Brooks Davis), dscheidt@enteract.com (David Scheidt), troy@picus.com (Troy Settle), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

> >250ms of line silence, according to Technical Aspects of Data
> >Communication, McKneely, Digital Press, where in the appendices
> >they reproduce the Bell 103c and Bell 212 standards.
>
> The exact amount isn't part of any standard, unfortunately.

Actually, it's part of the Bell 103C standard, defining how
modems should function.

DEC implemented the break on VT100 terminals to be "as long as
the break key remained depressed".

However, it seems to me that the only reason for varing from
the 250ms 103C definition is to allow you to break in a
shorter time at a higher baud rate, since so long as you
were going at a higher baud rate, you would have more sampling
intervals to detect the break than at a lower baud rate.

As far as timings, I've always wondered why in _hell_ vendors
did not adhere to the RS232C specification when it came to
implementing external clock pins.  I mean, we would never, ever
have had to care about baud rate matching if they had implemented
this stuff according to the specification.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.