Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 08:47:20 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        fiber@phy.iitkgp.ernet.in
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: how safe is FreeBSD 2.2.5

> ----------
> From: 	Sanjit Roy[SMTP:fiber@phy.iitkgp.ernet.in]
>
> I need some advise regarding the security level in FreeBSD. Lately, a
> lot of students in my university campus have been into hacking
> activity.
> I have a Linux (kernel 1.2.8) system on one of my mail gateways and
> it's
> a piece of cake becoming 'root' on that machine. I immediately need to
> upgrade that to either REDHAT Linux 5.0 or FreeBSD 2.2.5. I have both
> the flavours of unix available with me.
>
> What I want to know is :
>
> 1. which of the two is more secure?

I believe, FreeBSD

> 2. Is shadow util really effective in Linux. Don't know if there's one
> in FreeBSD?

Yes, it is effective if you enable it. FreeBSD has master.passwd
which is functionally the same (and there are reasons why it's better
for supporting many user account).

> 3. what do i have to do/install to make my system secure i.e, what are
> the available patches and where do i get them?

For Linux you will need at least to walk through inetd.conf and disable
lots of never-used services that make system more vulnerable and are
by some reason enabled by default in Linux.

-Serge