Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Ugen Antsilevitch wrote:

> Hey!
>
>  Thanx a lot first of all!
>
> Anytime i CAN write something myself - i do. I  can go as low as networking code
> or pseudodevice driver. But i am at loss when it comes to hardware (and within
> my scope of work etc. i doubt i will ever learn this stuff). Thats why i pleaded for help.
>
>  I volonteer to be your first alpha-tester. I have this modem
> blaster thing. It is PCI and it has a UART. I was going to sell it
> and shell out lots of money for USRobotics 56K ISA real modem. BTW
> they call it "legacy" modem - i think the general direction is such
> that PCI will be the only kind available very soon...

This is pretty much untrue, because not all applications (industrial
applications) for modems have a PC to talk to, so it's totally
impossible for conventional modems to go away.  I used to make my living
tending large banks of modems, and not all applications are 56K even,
because they are only justified if you have a very large modem pool.

I think you're panicking prematurely, Ugen.  You're also checking the
very bottom of the market, and you're exaggerating (in your comment
about shelling out lot's of cash for a conventional modem) the cost of
a regular modem.  Things just aren't that desperate.

It's possible the trend is in a direction I don't like, but I'll still
keep my external conventional modem.  It's 33.6, not 56, which means
that my friends can dial into my system, which they can't do if it's a
56K.  That's very nice sometimes.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include any kind of voice or data
chuckr@mat.net             | communications topic, C programming, Unix and
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1 | carpentry.  It's all in the design!
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD/i386
(301) 220-2114             | jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD/Alpha