Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 19:10:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crypto tunnel - international

Jordan,

OpenBSD has photurisd and ipsec built-in. These utilities are designed to
maintain encypted tunnels and pipes, with dynamically changing keys. They
have a special device built into the kernel (enc0) for encrypted data
transport. tun0 can be used, but enc0 is definitely preferrable.

OpenBSD uses des, md5, sha1, and Blowfish (for password encryption).
They also take great care to provide a very high-entropy pool for
creating keys and such.

Kevin