Date:      Fri, 02 Dec 2005 20:15:03 +0100
From:      Mark Nowiasz <buckaroo@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solution

Hans Nieser wrote:

> I suppose this means that if you want a non-default keyboard layout you
> have to set it through the XkbModel/XkbLayout options in xorg.conf from
> now on. I wonder why the Keyboard Preferences dialog wasn't updated
> accordingly though... I might be entirely wrong about this

Actually, this is quite hard to believe - this would make the keyboard
preferences (and the panel) totally useless. In this case, Gnome should
disable the settings.

It's also hard to believe because there are very valid reasons to allow
the user to use a different layout (instead of the system's layout):

      * consider a true multi-user system, where users want to use
        "their" native keyboard layout (for example, at a international
        university)
      * sometimes, it's quite useful to switch layouts on the fly - the
        US keyboard layout has certain aadvantages to the German one
        when you want to program something ({}[] are more easily
        accessible).

Disabling this feature would be madness, IMHO.

Regards,
Mark
--
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.