Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:07:28 +0500 (ES)
From:      Andrey Zakhvatov <andy@cgu.chel.su>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE

Hello,

> Is there any reason why kde installs under /usr/local instead of
> /usr/local/kde? I find it very disturbing to see a number of
> not-so-unusually-named directories, such as $PREFIX/share/apps or
> $PREFIX/share/sounds, in a place where they can easily conflict with
> other applications.
  According to the Handbook, we must install KDE executable files into
${PREFIX}/bin, data files under ${PREFIX}/share/kde/sound, etc.. But
if we consider KDE is differrent beast, we must create its own hierarchy
${PREFIX}/kde and install datas into ${PREFIX}/kde/share/sounds etc..

> Also, I dislike having Gnome under /usr/X11R6 and kde under /usr/local,
> but that's another issue. :-)
  I vote for using /usr/X11R6 as PREFIX (it was some discission some time
ago about /usr/X11R6 vs /usr/local). KDE is X11 thing, like GNOME, and like
GNOME, must be installed in /usr/X11R6
  But we also can consider "all things move to /usr/local" approach, and
place _all_ apps into /usr/local (except those, which use X11 hierarchy),
so leaving /usr/X11R6 only for X11 system stuff.

Sincerely yours, Andy.

--
Tel: +7-(3512)-38-39-73,   E-mail: andy@icc.surw.chel.su
WWW: http://surw.chel.su/~andy/index.html, ICQ:10705306