Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:40:24 -0700
From:      Tony Tam <tam@cd.iidpwr.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   DigiBoard

Oleg N Panashchenko wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.960612092917.14946A-100000@cd.iidpwr.com> you wrote:
> : Serge A. Babkin wrote:
> : > Does your machine have over 15M of memory ? If so, you need to map
> : > your Digiboard to some address in the ISA address hole (between
> : > 640K and 1M).
> : >
> : > -SB
> : Serge,
> :      Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.
> :      Yes, my machine has more than 15M of RAM. It has 32M byte of RAM.
> :      I have tried what you recommend. I compiled my kernel with the following option now:
> : device          dgb0    at isa? port 0x320 iomem 0xf0000 iosiz ? tty
> :      But I am still having problems. Following is the error messsage
> : I am having:
> :        Any idea?
>
> ISA address hole between 640K and 1M is partially occupied.
> Usually, memory map of this range is like the following:
>
> 0xa0000 - 0xbffff - VGA+ video RAM
> 0xc0000 - 0xc7fff - VGA BIOS
> 0xf0000 - 0xfffff - Main system BIOS
>
> There are other devices that use this memory - SCSI controllers, several
> (ancient) Ethernet cards and so. You need to check manuals for your
> motherboard and add-on cards to find if they occupy memory range in
> ISA address hole.
>
> As you see, 0xf0000 is already occupied. So, you need to select another
> address again. Try, for example, with 0xd0000.
>
> Another problem can occur if you motherboard has 'Shadow memory' at the selected
> address enabled. Verify that it is turned off in CMOS setup.
>
> Hint: It is not necessary to rebuild kernel every time you change
> I/O address / IRQ / memory range for your hardware. Just type 2 symbols
> at 'boot:' prompt:
>
> -c
>
> and answer 'visual' at the next prompt. Changes you made in the following
> menu will be saved, so this and next time you will boot with changed
> options.
>
> Oleg
>
> PS. If digiboard will be recognized by your box, ( I am sure, it will
> be so), try to upgrade digiboard driver from
>
> ftp://tav.kiev.ua/pub/unix/FreeBSD/dgb_helg-Apr20.tgz

     Thank you for your information. My DigiBoard PC/8e is working with your new driver dgb_helg-Apr20.tgz now.

     It seems that the DigiBoard can only work at 0xd0000. I have tried 0xc8000, but no luck.

     Anyway, thank you for your help.

--
Yours truly,

Tony Tam

| Tony Tam                     |  Imperial Irrigation District           |
| Imperial Irrigation District |  333 E. Barioni Blvd.                   |
| email: tam@cd.iidpwr.com     |  P.O. BOX 937                           |
|   tel: (619) 339 9454        |  Imperial, CA 92251                     |
|   fax: (619) 339 9189        |  U.S.A.                                 |