Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 09:48:15 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Derrick Edwards <dantavious@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64bit FreeBSD performance

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:57:12PM -0500, Derrick Edwards wrote:
>  	All,
> I purchased a amd anthlon 64 3700 (754) to be used with VMWARE 5.5. FreeBSD
> was going to be the guest OS. It seems that VMWARE only works with amd 64 bit
> (939). I was wondering if the performance gain of FreeBSD 64 bit really be
> significant compared to 32bit FreeBSD.

Your statement is hard to parse - to figure out what you're really
saying.  VMware 5.5 runs fine on AMD Athlon64 3700 (754-pin) systems if
you are running a 32-bit host and want to run 64-bit guests.  If you want
to run a 64-bit guest you need a revision D or later Athlon64.  64-bit
754-pin Semprons qualify.  It isn't an issue of the number of pins the
CPU has.  You cannot run a 64-bit guest on a 939-pin rev.CG Athlon64.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
A: Why is top-posting (putting a reply at the top of the message) frowned upon?