Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:26:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Jerry Hicks <wghhicks@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 2.2.5 - Refuses to install Goddammit.

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Jerry Hicks wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
> >
> > One thing that I have heard is that ide cd-roms need to be either the
> > slave on the 1st ide controller or the master on the second ide
> > controller.
> >
> > Andrew Perry
>
> Mine works OK as a slave on the second IDE controller (Asus
> motherboard).

I've had two work as slave on the secondary on two different MBs, one with
onboard IDE controllers and the other old 486 with cards.  In both cases
the first three `slots' had HDs in them.  I've also gotten it to work in
both cases as master on the second controller (with master and slave HDs
on the first) IFF the kernel config includes  `disk   wd2'.

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
            enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null