Date:      14 Feb 2002 19:00:20 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do basic OS principles continue to improve?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

> Carlos Ugarte wrote:
> [ ... compiler stuff ... ]
> [ ... "Synthesis"<Massalin>... ]

Interesting Wired article about Massalin from 1996 at
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.12/ffmassalin.html
Apparently the quintessential eccentric genius.

> I'm often incredibly frustrated at the lack of familiarity
> with the literature in fields of endeavor, where people
> end up taking years to reinvent a wheel, and then expect
> to be lauded for it.

> I highly recommend it for any technologiust who finds
> themselves frustrated by business processes appearing to
> be there to stifle their work; in fact, many *are* there
> for *precisely* that reason, and the businesses with
> them are successful *because* of this, not *in spite of*
> it.

I suspect that's fairly rare compared to the more natural causes of the
problem.  I suppose a lot of it comes down to defining what "their work"
is.  Many technologists define it differently than the people more
directly responsible for the work.  One SOP I've heard about along those
lines is for engineering departments to hire as few PhDs as possible,
because they are especially hard for management to see eye-to-eye with
on what the work should be.  Sadly, they are the one particularly apt to
be familiar with the literature pertinent to the department.

I worked with varied numerical algorithms for a very large company and
often scratched my head about why they so often set people to inventing
wheels that had been invented many times before, were being re-invented
in rooms down the hall, were found in journals and books and the few
on-staff experts, etc.  To add insult and injury, they'd refuse to hire
mathematicians without an engineering degree.  And of course, the few
people with any expertise in their field were kept busy preparing
presentations for meetings, traveling, etc.

I saw it as a problem which could be improved at many levels; in
companies (at several levels) and in industries (especially tractable
in governemt-related "industries").

The obvious problem is that most workers are busy working to deadlines
and haven't the (paid) time to get familiar with outside information.
One solution is to have roaming teams of experts, maybe even part time,
that are given the time to develop their expertise without having to do
grunt work 99% of the time.  Of course that would take a strong
management hand to have their expertise paid attention to.

I think public money would be well spent in improvements in "library
science"; in improving the "navigation" of the considerable information
that is now available to the few able to do research in a big university
technical library.  They could pay universities to develop/gather and
organize and publish information on a wide variety of subjects for easy
public access.   They essentially do that now, except for the vital
"organize" and "easy" parts.