Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:15:55 +0000
From:      duspat@ibm.net
To:        AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Busresets with NEC CD chhanger

Hello!

On mounting a new CD on our NEC CD changers, the aic7xxx driver very
often resets the bus for no obvious reason. Once the CD is mounted,
reading is no problem at all.

This is somewhat unpleasent, for the system is frozen for a couple of
seconds. More unfortunately, the tape driver loses it's scratch book,
and "mt status" will return with I/O error, until a "mt rewind" is
issued.

My question is, what we can do to avoid this behaviour, or how to
track down the reason for the bus resets.

The configuration: A normal AHA2940 card, an internal seagate DAT, an
internal CDROM, an external HP DAT and two NEC MBR 7.4 CD changers
(one ID, seven LUN per drive).

Kernels are 2.0.25 up to 2.0.36.

We often need up to three mounts, until "mount" returns with "ok".
I do not know, why, but we can live with that.

The syslog reports repeated "bread" errors from the sr driver
verbosed as "CDROM not ready".

As attachment You will find a  log excerpt.

Really mysterious is: These resets don't occur for the first - say -
20-50 media changes (mount/unmount sequences). Then they come
increasing frequently.

Have You any idea what to do?

Many thanks in advance!

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Yours sincerely,

          Marian Eichholz

Dunkelberg & Stute        Dipl.-Ing. Marian M. Eichholz
Patentanwaelte
patent attourneys         duspat@ibm.net