Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 19:25:45 -0000
From:      "list tracker" <list_tracker@hotmail.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   trouble with 802.11 and kernel bridging....

I have compiled options BRIDGE into my kernel.  (also options IPFIREWALL,
and IPSTEALTH, but probably not important).

So I booted up with ep0 and wi0 in their slots, everything is great.  I set
up bridging with:

    sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge=1

then made sure everything was wide open:

    ipfw add 65500 allow all from any to any

then I opened up the wireless card.  First, I named it "Laptop":

wicontrol -q "Laptop"
wicontrol -n "Laptop"
wicontrol -s "Laptop"

then I set it to Port Type = BSS (value 1)

then I set "Create IBSS" to "on" (wicontrol -c 1)

for good measure, made sure WEP was off:  wicontrol -e 0

------

So, with it in this configuration, I plugged ep0 into my wired network, and
then told a friend to try to use my laptop as a base station.  Their
computer "saw" me just fine...although it asked for a password to get on,
which was odd - I ended up having to `wicontrol -k 12345 1` and then have
him use that as his password, and then he got on just fine.

Two problems I would like help with:

1. He could not talk to the wired network - even though he was "on" my
wireless LAN and I had bridging properly set up on the machine.  I feel as
if he should have just talked right through to the network on the other side
as if my laptop was not even there (being just the wireless access point and
nothing more)

2. (this is more minor) how come his client (macOS 9.1) thought it needed a
password to get onto my link ?  I had just booted the machine, so all key
values were set to default of " ", and _further_, as you can see above, I
turned WEP off anyway ... I should not have had to set the 12345 key like I
did.  It did work when I did that, but it is odd.  And even when it did
work, it still didn't do the bridging I am talking about in question 1.

-----

A few ideas....first, perhaps I need to be in peer-to-peer mode to do this
instead of port type=BSS ?

However, I would really like this laptop to _act like_ a base station and
have multiple clients to connect to it simultaneously - it is my
understanding that if I want that I should do "port type=BSS" _and_ I should
do "Create IBSS=1 (yes)" ... should I not do this same thing for when I only
have one person connecting ?  I would think not.

And yes, I did see in the man page where "create IBSS=1" is sometimes not
functional - is it totally broken, or should I at least be able to use it
like I am trying.. ?

any comments, help appreciated,

LT