Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 02:14:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Elliot L. Tobin" <tobin@mail.eecis.udel.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Server

Elliot L. Tobin wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I have configured my FreeBSD 4.3-RC box as a NFS Server, and I have added
> two machines (hostA and hostB) into my /etc/hosts, yet when I start
> mountd, it compalins about my /etc/exports saying "bad exports list line
> in /usr/local/www/data/images
>
> Here in my /etc/exports:
>
> /usr/local/www/data/images	-alldirs	hostA hostB

You didn't specify any credential options. -alldirs just allows clients to
mount any subdirectory of the given directory as its own mount point, and
says nothing about actual access. You should normally use one of -mapuser,
-maproot, or -kerb to specify how client credentials are assigned on the
exporting system (or, I suppose, -public, if you really don't care who has
write access to the export :-)

Without any of those options, the export is ambiguous, and correctly
generates an error. Read the man page exports(5) to determine which of the
options applies to your situation, and what the option syntax is, or let
us know exactly what this export is used for, and we'll be glad to offer
you configuration advice.

For example, between trusted hosts, this is common:

/usr/local/www/data/images	-maproot=0	hostA hostB

Would allow root on hostA and hostB root access to the NFS export (hostA
and hostB should definitely be trusted machines), and map all other client
UIDs to UIDs on the server.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

> My /etc/hosts is:
>
> xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa		hostA.fqdn	hostA
> aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd		hostB.fqdn	hostB
>
> ------
>
> What am I missing?  Or what could be wrong with my /etc/exports file?
> Thanks for the help..

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon